February makes a welcome return after what seems like a year of Januarys, and with the days growing longer, our thoughts turn to getting out into the garden again. We have a wonderful selection of seed potatoes, vegetable and flower seeds and bulbs to get you started.
As always there are plenty of jobs to do in the garden and if you are planning to grow your own veg this year now is the time to plan crop rotation.
Things To Do In The Garden For February:
- Clear away all dead leaves and fallen fruit from beneath fruit trees as both can harbour pests and diseases.
- Start chitting your potatoes in preparation for planting in the coming weeks.
- If you haven’t already protect your more tender plants and spring crops from the February frost.
- Plant perennials such as lupins and delphiniums now.
- Time to plan the summer flowering bulbs you wish to plant for when the soil gets a little warmer.
- Towards the end of the mont plant brussel sprouts, potatoes, onions shallots plus you can plant spinach, leeks and peas (if it is mild).
- Plant your bare rooted trees, fruit bushes and hedges.
- Tidy around the edges of beds to look smart all summer long!
- Don’t forget to check your lawnmower before its time to cut the grass for the first time this year.
If you’re lucky enough to have a greenhouse or polytunnel you can begin to sow Aubergines, Tomatoes, Peppers, Melons, Cucumbers, Lettuce, Rocket, Radish, Carrot and Beetroot now too. All of which are available to buy online, click here to see our range.